Saturday 3 March 2012

Brit-Cit

Channel 4 are currently showing a season of programmes about multicultural Britain and as part of this they have highlighted the British Citizenship Test.

The test is required by law for individuals seeking Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or naturalisation as a British citizen. The test is up of 24 multiple-choice questions and to pass the candidate must receive a grade of 75% or more or at least 18 answers correct.

I recently took an online version of the test and failed.

Despite being born in the UK and having spent most of my life here, I only got 13 correct. Therefore I would not be allowed to become a citizen, but in my defence there were no questions about Doctor Who, Charles Dickens or Toffee Crisps.

Take a version of the British Citizenship Test for yourself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you. Two years ago I took a US Citizenship Test. I failed despite being born in the USA and living here my whole life.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There is a citizen test here that's not official, but most Americans who take the hundred question quiz fail. Ironic, huh?

Dave said...

It's embarrassing, isn't it?

Is it right to demand more than we are capable of ourselves?

Kittie Howard said...

I'm with you. Some of these tests are absurd. As Alex said, we've got the same problem here.

Why Do I Bother? said...

Hi Dave, I have nominated you for an award. Hope your A-Z challenge goes well. I am off to take the citizenship test.

Nikki said...

I got 10 out of 24 and was born and have lived here all my life... That's terrible!

Dave said...

Why Do I Bother?, thanks. Let me know how you get on.

Inspirenordic, to be fair you couldn't be expected to know any of the statistic related questions based on just living here. So why are they in the test?

Jeremy Bates said...

HaHa, watch out for deportation! Actually, who writes these tests, foreigners?

I am pretty sure that if I took the exam for citizenship in the U.S. - or for anywhere for that matter, I'd fail as well.

Good luck with the acting!